Welcome to March. I am in awe at how quickly the months are flying by…
I just had to pop on today to share a great recipe with all of you. One that I found by chance. Here is what happened…
I bought a whole chicken to make chicken soup the day before the Northeast was supposed to get its first snowstorm this season.
I bought a plump 5 lb. chicken and made the soup as planned, which was delicious and has always been one of my favorite soups any season of the year.
It was so comforting on the cold dreary day of the storm. The smell in the house when chicken soup is on the stove is absolutely divine and reminds me of my mom. It’s like a hug from a loved one.
So after we enjoyed the soup during the storm, I bottled five-quart jars of chicken broth for the freezer with some chicken added to each jar and I still had a lot of chicken meat left over.
Usually, not a problem and I decided to make some chicken salad (one of Bob’s favorites) for lunch the next day with some added mayo, grapes, celery, poppy seeds, honey, and walnuts and I still had chicken meat left over.
This was the most meat I ever remember from this size chicken so now I was on a quest to find another recipe to use the last of the chicken.
I searched and found a great, quick recipe for Coconut Curry Chicken Wraps from the Whole Foods website with only nine ingredients. It looked interesting and I had all the other ingredients in the house so I gave it a try.
It turned out to be a great find and tasted fantastic. I knew I had to share the recipe with you in case you are looking for a quick and different midweek meal.
The fresh veggies and the crunch of the peanuts along with the slightly spicy curry paste & creamy coconut milk made a great combination.
You can also prepare this meal with a rotisserie chicken to make the preparation time even shorter and serve it with a squirt of fresh lime, rice & beans, and salsa and chips, or a side salad.
I prepared this dish with taco shells (another option) since I didn’t have tortilla wraps in the pantry. I hope you give it a try and enjoy it.
Coconut Curry Chicken Wraps
Courtesy of Whole Foods Marketplace
- ½ cup coconut milk (I used the thicker coconut milk from a can rather than the container in the dairy aisle- either is fine)
- 1 tablespoon Thai red OR green curry paste (I used red curry)
- 2 tbsps. of fresh cilantro OR parsley
- 1 ½ cups of shredded cooked chicken
- ½ large carrot, shredded
- 1 green onion thinly sliced.
- 2 tbsp. chopped roasted peanuts.
- 4 (8-inch whole wheat tortillas or wraps) * I used taco shells.
- 1 cup shredded green leaf lettuce.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk and the curry paste until smooth
- Stir in the cilantro or parsley, cooked chicken, carrot, and green onions and toss to coat
- Arrange the tortillas or wraps in a single layer on a flat surface.
- Place ¼ of the mixture down the center of each wrap.
- Top with lettuce and roll up the wrap burrito style, tucking the ends in and wrapping each snugly.
- Halve each crosswise and serve immediately or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to eat.
Per serving: 1 wrap, 250 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 35mg cholesterol, 440mg sodium, 27g carbohydrates (3g dietary fiber, 2g sugar), 19g protein.
Cooks Note: REFRIGERATE CURRY PASTE AFTER OPENING
Serve with beans and rice, a side salad, or chips and salsa
Until my next post, make every day a celebration!