Click on photos to ENLARGE and then hit the back arrow to return to the post.
Good morning! I have to share this with all of you. It seems I accidentally purchased a large number of sweet potatoes- don’t ask. I bought a bag and so did my husband.
Well, after I made mashed sweet potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, and sweet potato fries I was stumped for something different to make with the remaining sweet potatoes and I started my google search.
I stumbled upon a few recipes for….wait for it…..”Sweet Potato Brownies”. I never had them before and I was completely intrigued. I read a variety of recipes, some with flour some without, some with lots of ingredients, and some with minimal ingredients and after reading I selected a recipe from the website, The Almond Eater.
This recipe seemed interesting to me with only 4 ingredients (5 if you counted additional chocolate chips) and I had everything in the house so I gave it a try.
Very easy to put together and I have to say for me and my husband I gave it 5 stars. It is fudgy, with no eggs or flour, and quick to put together. If you follow a vegan-friendly or paleo diet, you are in luck because this recipe follows those guidelines.
Of course, I had to tweak the recipe to my liking a little and I’ll let you know what I changed but I recommend giving this recipe a try. We were quite surprised and yes we did use the extra chocolate chips. I don’t think you will be disappointed and if you want to give your children a healthier brownie it’s worth a try. I hope you try this recipe and enjoy it.
I topped them with a little Maldon-flaked salt.
Recipe courtesy of “The Almond Eater” website.
Flourless Sweet Potato Brownies
These Flourless Sweet Potato Brownies are made with just 4 ingredients and are a healthy, paleo, vegan-friendly dessert that everyone will enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes Servings: 16 brownies Author: Erin
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (1 cup, mashed)
- 1 ⅓ cup almond butter ( I used 1 cup of Kirkland mixed nut butter).
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup chopped chocolate or more (I used 1/2 cup of chocolate chips).
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Use a fork to poke holes into the sweet potatoes, then place them on a microwave-safe dish and microwave for 6-7 minutes until soft. Then, slice them down the center and wait a few minutes for them to cool off before scooping out the sweet potato flesh and discarding the skin. Alternatively, you can peel and roast the sweet potato in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Use a potato masher to mash the cooked sweet potato and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk almond butter and syrup together; then, add the cocoa and the mashed sweet potato. Last, stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper (or grease with coconut oil) and pour batter into the pan. Bake brownies for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Wait 20 minutes before cutting the brownies and enjoy!
–Storage: store these brownies in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 4 days, or freeze them for up to 3 months.
–The recipe says to microwave the sweet potatoes, but if you don’t own a microwave, you can cook them over the stovetop or roast them in the oven instead.
–These brownies are both vegan AND paleo, as long as you use dairy-free chocolate chips/chopped chocolate.
Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 18mg | Potassium: 294mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 4008IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 1mg
Until my next post, make every day a celebration!