Hope all is well.
This dish is a traditional staple of all Italian households and especially at summer barbecues and Italian street festivals, but I love it all year.
I usually prepare this dish the old fashioned way and I will include my original recipe at the end of this post but I have to tell you how this quick version happened…..
A few nights ago, I made turkey chili for dinner and I made it a little too spicy for Bob (I love spicy). I didn’t want him to eat leftovers for dinner so I decided to make a separate meal for him (quickly) so we could still eat together.
I had all the ingredients in the house for sausage and peppers except my sausage was frozen so I went to plan B.
With plan B, I used “store bought pre-cooked sausage” that I had in the refrigerator. I originally bought this sausage because I was going to make a sausage, kale and zucchini frittata but instead, I used the pre-cooked sausage for Bob’s sausage & peppers dinner.
The meal turned out well and I thought that this could be another quick meal for a school night so I want to share what I did ….
- 4 bell peppers – washed and sliced (a mix of colors is nice for this dish)
- 2 yellow onions- sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic – diced
- 4 links of pre-cooked sausages (so many brands on the market- your choice).
- Cooks Note: I used Teton brand sausage but found them to be salty so I am looking further for another brand). At this point I don’t have a brand to recommend- sorry…
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano flakes (I use Italian imported)
- 1- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 “hero” rolls (in the northeast) or hoagies, clubs, etc.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onion and sliced peppers and sauté for 5 minutes and then add garlic, sauté a few minutes longer until veggies are soft.
- Make room in the center of the pan and add the tomato paste and stir for a few minutes to toast the tomato paste; then mix it well with the peppers and onions.
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, & oregano and mix well
- Add the precooked sausage just to heat through. (I cut them in half and heated face down in the skillet until the sausage was golden).
- Serve on toasted rolls
Here is my Sausage and Peppers Traditional recipe for when you have more time to spend on dinner.
Sausage and Peppers
Just open the link and click
search the search box on the right for sausage & peppers.
Until my next post, make every day a celebration!
Thank you for visiting my blog.
Ask your family and friends to share, like, comment, and join DishingwithDiane.com and become part of the family!
Once you become a member, you’ll never miss a post.
Also, continue to send me your comments and emails,
I Love hearing from you.