(Click PHOTO to enlarge and then back arrow to return to original size).
I just wanted to share a recipe with you that I put together last night.
It was very easy and came together fairly quickly in case you are looking for something to have for a school night. The rice can be made ahead of time.
As much as I love to cook, sometimes I just don’t know what to cook for dinner and I need a few changes from the usual favorites.
I had previously posted my traditional stuffed pepper recipe with ground beef on the blog (September 20, 2015); but for this recipe I changed the beef to black beans.
Very good for my vegetarian members too.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Have fun cooking and enjoy!
Until my next post, make every day a celebration!
Thank you for visiting my blog.
If you enjoy the posts, please spread the word and ask your family and friends to subscribe to DishingwithDiane.com
Once you subscribe, you’ll never miss a post…
Also, continue to send me your comments, I love hearing from you.
Stuffed Peppers with Rice and Beans
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 medium onion –sliced
3 garlic cloves –minced
5 bell peppers- whole
3 TBSP olive oil
2-3 cans “no salt” 8 oz. tomato sauce … (3 cans will make it juicier)
2 cups cooked brown rice – (follow package directions)
1 TBSP Italian seasoning
4 TBSP plus of grated cheese
8 oz. of shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper
- Cut the tops from 5 green peppers; discard the seeds and the membranes
- Dice the tops in pieces for the rice filling – set aside
- Cook the whole green peppers, uncovered in boiling water for about 6 minutes; invert to drain well
- Start to prepare the rice in either a steamer or stovetop
- In another saucepan over medium low heat, add the olive oil
- Allow the oil to heat up for a few minutes and then add the diced peppers and onions, a pinch of salt and cook for approx. 7 minutes stirring occasionally to soften
- Add the minced garlic to the peppers and onions and cook for 1 more minute
- Add the 2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained – cook 1 minute
- Add the 2-3 cans of tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and 2 TBSP of grated cheese
- Allow this to cook on a lower temperature for 15-20 minutes with the cover ON until the sauce is done
- Add the cooked rice, mix well and add the remaining grated cheese
- Stuff the peppers with this mixture and top with additional grated cheese and mozzarella cheese
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes to melt the cheese then serve
Depending on the size of your peppers, you will have leftover filling for a quick lunch the next day.
I love ypur site and this recipe is wonderful. Will try. Just have to get peppers. Just picked my food order so will have to go back to market. You make everything look enticing and I read the recipe. Sounds great. I love meatless meals.
Hi Loretta, Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so glad that you enjoy the site. I have a great time posting and being able to talk to members like you. Diane
Pingback: Cauliflower Rice Veggie Stir Fry & Black Bean Stuffed Peppers … | Dishing With Diane